Red Ruffles (Kyoto Sweater)









Hello lovelies! I can't believe the holidays are already upon us. This 4 day weekend was such a welcome reprieve for me. We continued our tradition of cooking duck on T-day, since it's a smaller bird and works better for 2 people. It also happens to be delicious (hint: if you are cooking duck, make goat cheese mousse on the side. It takes the duck from good to out-of-this-world).

This month, on my continued quest for practical sewing, I made a very easy, wearable Kyoto Sweater by Papercut Patterns. I am a late-comer to Papercut, but I have fallen hard. The femininity of their designs combined with their eco-conscious packaging is all but irresistible to me.

The Kyoto Sweater is a pretty straight-forward take on a drop shoulder design. Ruffles are added into the shoulder seam. This is a quick make, suitable for a beginner. Something to note: Papercut tends to add quite a bit of ease to some of their patterns. According to their size chart, I am an XS, a size I haven't worn in RTW since junior high. I cut and sewed a straight XS, and you can see how 'over-sized' it ended up looking (which is totally fine on this garment, but thought this info could be helpful to others). For reference, my measurements are: Bust 34", Waist 27", Hips 37" (roughly: these all have slight fluctuations).

I used printed scuba knit fabric from Fabricland outside Vancouver. Although I was looking for something a bit more snuggly, I really liked the color/print on this fabric. It is still very comfortable.

I serged all the seams on this one. I did have a little mishap on one of the shoulder seams where I managed not to catch part of the ruffle in the stitch but attached the sleeve and shoulder. This resulted in a shorter ruffle on one side in the back (my serger snipped some of the ruffle but didn't sew, which was my fault for not ensuring the fabric was all flat and sandwiched together nicely). Not a big deal, but could have been avoided by going slower and using a bit more precaution during the ruffle/sleeve sewing. The ruffle is also gathered, so there is a lot of fabric to work with. 

Ultimately this was an enjoyable design to realize. My next Papercut make will be the Sapporo Coat, but this has been bumped down the queue for the moment as I am currently full NYE dress speed ahead.








Are you as in love with Papercut Patterns as I am? What are your NYE sewing plans?

Until next time and Happy Holidays!

-Amy


Comments

  1. It is really cute. I love the fabric and the pattern. Looks very nice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

V8928 Wrap Skirt!

Axel Skirt

Notes From The Comeback Kitten/ Papercut Patterns Ravine Dress