V8928 Wrap Skirt!






Hey guys! Happy Summer! I know it's been a hot minute since I posted- I've been getting settled into my life here in WA. I re-joined the working world over a month ago, which resolved a lot of my initial anxiety about moving. However, I've been a bit wrapped up and neglectful of my sewing goals, which will change as I continue to acclimate.

I started this skirt project an embarrassingly long amount of time ago; I initially planned to wear it to a Beyonce concert I attended at the end of May, but it wasn't done in time. I did have all the pieces cut already, so I was committed to finishing it, even though it's not the most practical of wardrobe items. For me, it needs to go from work to play pretty seamlessly to be considered practical. And this one is not something I would wear to work. In fact, I wasn't expecting the front slit on this to be anywhere near as high as it is. I read some reviews saying it was a pretty revealing garment, and I sewed the front panels with smaller seam allowances to give it a bit more modesty in front. For as revealing as the front is, the back is really quite modest. I do like this skirt, and I am especially proud of how solid it looks with its crisp edges.




Construction wise, this was pretty straight-forward. I fray-checked all the linen before sewing. This skirt is fully lined as well- with my black poly-blend meshy lining material. I did end up stitching the lining down to the seam allowances at the front openings to keep the lining from peaking through, as it was wont to do. I also sewed a ribbon waistband. The instructions called for a grosgrain ribbon, which I couldn't find at Joann's last minute, so I ended up using a normal shiny ribbon. Of course, then, the shiny ribbon was too pretty to fold into the inside as the instructions called for, so I decided to leave it on the outside. This finishing method is probably not ideal, but I was feeling comfortable enough with myself and my skill-level to really experiment with this garment, which is a step forward for me.




I think I like this style of skirt more than I like this particular pattern. I think this pattern is a bit flawed being too revealing in front, while simultaneously not fitted enough in back. If I make a skirt like this again it will be using a different pattern. You live and you learn! Now that I finally completed this, I can move onto some fun Summer dresses I've been dyyyying to make :)




I hope everyone is enjoying their Summer!

Until next time...

xoxo,

Amy

Comments

  1. Good job all the same! I agree with you, though, about being too revealing and open in the front. That's so annoying when a pattern doesn't turn out well. Onto the next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words, Carmen! Yeah, it happens to us all...

      Delete
  2. Now that is a sexy skirt! But it is still pretty long, so it looks like it is comfortable to wear. What a nice mix!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much, Helena! It is comfortable until I have to get into or out of a car lol...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Axel Skirt

Notes From The Comeback Kitten/ Papercut Patterns Ravine Dress