Hearts For Linden


Oh hello, Blogosphere! Have you missed me while I was away?? This is going to sound a lot like an excuse because it is an excuse, but I'm going to give it to you anyway: I really, really meant to post last month and thought I would up to the very last second when after taking dozens of photos of the dress I had made styled two different ways, I realized I just wasn't that proud of it, and didn't really want to show it to anyone. As much as failed projects are a let-down, this one was also a huge learning experience for me. Here's a quick run down of what I was learning in October: how to make pleats, using the right needle and tension, listening to the pattern guidelines for fabric, cutting the right size, and to never, never make patterns featuring an elastic waistband (because I am just not a fan, and the finished project will inevitably disappoint me). So that's what I was doing in October.

This month I turned my eyes towards the much beloved, much lauded Linden Sweatshirt by Grainline Studio. I'd seen this sweatshirt pop up over and over again in my blog roll and heard all the wonderful things you had to say about it. You made some really cool versions of it. Although some of the sewers I know in real life actually advised me not to buy independent patterns for great reasons such as, "sometimes the instructions are different, and it can be confusing if you've always done things the exact same way." and "who wants to print out their patterns?" I decided to forgo all that ancient sewing wisdom, and venture into the deep, dark, creative world of independent patterns. And you know what? I'm glad I did. The Linden is a clean, simple make that satisfies a basic wardrobe staple.


The Linden you see before you is actually my second attempt. The first attempt... did not go so well. In my first attempt I cut a size 4, which, to be fair, was right where the size chart put me. But the size chart does not take into account the fact that I like my sweaters to be oversized, so my bad, everyone. The sweater knit I was using also frayed like a real fustilarian, mostly around the neckline, and I didn't think to consider using Fraycheck until after the damage was done. So it ended up being smaller than I wanted with a wonky neckline. No matter, I made another one straight away with much better results.

I cut a size 8 and used a double-faced knit that mercifully did not fray. It went together prettymuch without any problems. The only thing that challenged me was the neckline. I am still learning the skill of stretching while sewing. I actually added .5" to both the length and width of the neck band to make this step easier for me, and that helped a lot. I also made the front and back pieces .5" longer because I like my sweaters kind of long. The sleeves in this pattern are long already, which I like, so I left those alone. And that's about it, I think! I'll definitely be using this pattern again- as well I feel like I won't be buying any basic sweaters from stores anymore when I can easily make them myself.


I apologize for the mediocre quality images on this post. It's 18 degrees in Chicago today. We stepped out of the condo, and the cold just hit us. We walked a few steps, and I was like, "Yeah, that underpass right there? That's perfect for a photo shoot... I don't see why not!" I was trying to smile for these but my face was totally numb.

Well, there's still some time left in November, and I'm moving onto my next project which is a dress I hope to finish before New Years. Stay tuned!

Until next time...

xoxo,

Amy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Axel Skirt

V8928 Wrap Skirt!

Notes From The Comeback Kitten/ Papercut Patterns Ravine Dress