Butterflies and Blossoms, V9296
























Hey guys, happy April! Spring has sprung in my part of the world, and I was quite antsy to get my hands on a juicy Spring dress project. Enter V9296 and butterfly print fabric. First I fell in love with the pattern, then the fabric, and before I knew it, I could see no other turn of events then that they simply must go together. Nevermind that I didn't have nearly enough fabric for what the pattern demanded. What a pedestrian problem! Love conquers all! I charged ahead armed with my vision, my feelings, and my seam ripper. I was going to need all of them ;)

I cut out a mixture of views A and C of the pattern, modifying as I went to save fabric. I had 3 yards of 45" rayon printed fabric, and somehow, I coaxed this dress out of the yardage. The pattern calls for 5 1/8 yards of 45" fabric (insert horrified face emoji). I typically buy fabric in 3 yard increments because most of the dresses I make require slightly less than that amount, and I don't always know which pattern I'll use at the time of purchase, as was the case with this fabric.

In order to make this miracle happen, I made the following modifications. I took quite a bit of length off the skirt pieces. I am 5'4", and typically have to hem things anyway, so this was an easy way to save fabric. I also narrowed the bottoms of the skirt pieces slightly, which enabled me to cut pieces out with the fabric folded. Lastly, I changed the long flutter sleeves to short flutter sleeves.

I bought this pretty rayon from StyleMaker Fabrics. It's lightweight, floaty, and magical.

All things considered, I'm fairly beguiled by this dress. We had our struggles in the beginning, but I am hoping it will prove to be a lasting piece in my wardrobe. 

Also, this handsome kitty decided he wanted to take some photos with me. Who is cuter?

--Amy



PS. Here is a song I'm currently obsessing over. It has all the Spring feels :)



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Notes From The Comeback Kitten/ Papercut Patterns Ravine Dress

V8928 Wrap Skirt!

Axel Skirt