Sapporo Coat














Oh hey guys! It's March! I meant to post this one in February. Ah life, you fickle trickster, you. Of course now that I finished my first piece of outerwear, the weather seems to be changing and suggesting Spring. Yesterday was a balmy, sunny day here in Bellingham, and perfect for taking photos. I think I had only 2 insults hurled at me during this photo shoot from passerby, which is, you know, not good but not all that bad, either lol.

I made a Sapporo Coat by Papercut Patterns. This is a great beginner outerwear pattern. The lines are clean and simple, and there aren't any unnecessary flourishes; it's truly a minimalist piece. The pockets in this pattern are built into the pattern pieces so that they finish themselves in a really intuitive way.

I used a loosely weaved wool suiting. The only hiccups I had sewing this were with fraying. I took every precaution with a fabric likely to fray: I fray-checked and serged, and it still frayed. Even after I sewed up the shell, one of the shoulders started randomly fraying when I was hand sewing the lining into that seam. I bought some fabric glues and made use of them. I also decided to just keep a bottle of fraycheck in the pocket of this jacket, because I'll clearly be needing it lol.

The lining is silk charmeuse. This was dreamy to work with, and makes the coat feel truly luxurious. It glides right over my body when I slip it on and off. I now want to make all the floaty charmeuse dresses. 

This make was a good one. I'll continue to wear it, and hopefully I can keep it from fraying apart with lots of love and fraycheck. Even thought it's outerwear, it's actually pleasantly lightweight, more for cool weather than cold weather. 

Until next time,

--Amy

Comments

  1. Amy - LOVE this coat!! Makes me want to try my first piece of outerwear (and really, first piece of clothing in over 10 years). Maybe I'll start with something simpler..but really want to make this before fall comes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ashley! Great to hear from you! I didn't know you sew!!! This is a great beginner outerwear pattern. If you haven't sewn in a while, maybe practice on something simple. I took sewing classes in Chicago at Tchad studios for several months as well; if you want to kickstart your sewing, he will teach you the way lol.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

V8928 Wrap Skirt!

Axel Skirt

Notes From The Comeback Kitten/ Papercut Patterns Ravine Dress