My First Collar, Cuffs, and Plackets


Hey, Everyone! I'm back, halfway through the month to share this collared beast of a project with you. This was my first time making a collar, cuffs, and plackets. Also my first time using the button-hole function on a machine. I made this dress under the tutelage of Carisa Brunner at Made Sewing Studio in Seattle. Carisa is a patient teacher and hilarious human being-- I can't recommend her enough.

I signed up for a dress making bootcamp and thought I would expand my skill-set. I picked this pattern due to its numerous design features I hadn't yet tried. I really had no idea how involved the construction of the collar and sleeve plackets was going to be. Although the pattern instructions were pretty-much written in Greek, Carisa was able to walk me through it, and the amount of hair I lost in stress-pulling was minimal. I have newfound respect for people who make garments with collars and sleeve plackets on a regular basis.

The pattern I used is one by Bootstrap Fashion, a website with customized downloadable patterns. It's pretty cool- you enter your measurements and the site emails you a pattern based off your body. I was really nervous about trusting a website to size me, but I was pleasantly surprised by the fit. Although not entirely flawless, any adjustments I'd make on future versions would be pretty minor. As previously mentioned, the instructions that came along with the pattern were not great. Specifically, the sleeve placket instructions were confusing even to Carisa who has been sewing since childhood, and they certainly made even less sense to me. So I suppose a mixed review for Bootstrap- good fit, lackluster instructions.


I chose this animal print linen from Joann and initially felt really confident about the choice, but have been feeling less-so ever since. I've been trying to make these standout pieces, but then they really stand out, and I think, there's no way I'm wearing this. Sadly, I don't have to think too hard about whether or not to wear this one; it began coming apart after its very first wash and dry even though I serged it together. This was my first time using a serger so I'm thinking I may have missed part of the seam which led to the fraying. Also, I probably should not have put it in the dryer, and instead laid it flat to dry.

Regardless of the outcome of the garment, I learned a lot during this project. Sewing is one of those skills where the more you learn, the more you realize you have so much still to learn. Every time I start to think I'm easing off beginner level and decide to tackle a growth project, I realize I've got a long way to go yet...



That's all for now... My next project is... more LINEN gah! Anyone have tips or tricks for extending the lives of your linen garments?

Currently listening to:




xoxo,

Amy

Comments

  1. I find I have most success with handmades with the ones that look like something I'd pick in a shop rather than just picking fabric I like. When I buy fabric that doesn't feel like me it tends not to get worn!
    Well done on your first collar and placket, I'd recommend the Archer shirt as the instructions are fab and make it not very scary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! I've been trying to use sewing as a means to expand my wardrobe from things I typically wear and buy, but sometimes I go overboard lol. There's definitely something to be said for making basics you will actually wear...

      Good advice on the Archer, as well... Did you see Grainline's new release? The Tank dress... Very tempting :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

V8928 Wrap Skirt!

Axel Skirt

Notes From The Comeback Kitten/ Papercut Patterns Ravine Dress