A Simple Knit Top/ NewLook 6420



Hey Everyone! How was everyone's February? I have to say, this is the warmest February I can remember Chicago having in a long time. I'll take it!

This month I continued on my knit top kick and attempted NewLook 6420. Because it's such a simple pattern I figured I didn't need to make a muslin. *Long siiigh*, when will I ever learn? Luckily I was using a sale-fabric from Joann I paid all of $5/yard for, so it wasn't an expensive mistake. And actually- my only mistake was cutting the size small (10-12) which was huuuge. I could still unpick it, cut the pieces smaller, and re-sew it, I'm just not sure I'm that dedicated to this particular pattern.

For my second attempt, I cut the XS, also HUGE. I mean, ridiculous, swimming-in-my-garment huge. I ended up taking a large amount of fabric off both sides of this top, front and back, like this:



Although this helped the fit drastically, I'm still not super impressed with how this turned out. For something that's supposed to be a simply, easy pattern, it sure needs a lot of changes. For instance, there is fabric pooling in my lower back area screaming, "Sloping Back Adjustment!"




There are pull lines radiating from my bust area to my armpit screaming, "Add Bust Darts!" But this is the quandary of the modern seamstress; once you begin listening to what your garments are telling you, there's no un-hearing them. You can wander along in ignorant bliss for years, YEARS! Then ask one garment a well-meaning open-ended question, and now every garment you meet is kvetching to you about its problems. "HEY! I'm talking to you," an uneven hem might say. "Don't turn your back on ME," a puckering zipper remarks, while casually flipping you off.

Anyway, my point is, I'm just not sure this pattern is one I want to make again. I've been looking for a knit top pattern that can be my "Old Faithful" of knit top patterns, and this one just isn't it. Has anyone else tried to make a NewLook pattern and felt totally "meh" about the outcome, despite giving it a fair try? Does anyone really like NewLook patterns? I've noticed I seem to do really well with McCall's patterns, and so should probably gravitate towards working more with them.







So that's the scoop for this one. In other news, Keith and I are planning a cross-country move to Seattle at the end of March!!! We will actually be living about 60 miles North of Seattle, but no one knows where that is, so I'm just telling people Seattle. We are both super-excited about the move, and trying to get our ducks in a row so everything goes as smoothly as possible. I do plan on posting next month, but if I don't, I will definitely return in April!

Here is what I'm listening to right now:




Later Gators... XO,

Amy

Comments

  1. In all fairness, the picture on the envelope shows a LOT of ease in the finished garment so it may be drafted like that on purpose.
    McCall's definitely has a few close-fitting t-shirt patterns so you may find more success with them.
    Also, I love the fabric you used! It looks so WARM!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

V8928 Wrap Skirt!

Axel Skirt

Notes From The Comeback Kitten/ Papercut Patterns Ravine Dress