McCall's M6927





Hey guys! Who's glad to see January nearing a close?! This girl sure is. This weekend Chicago unthawed and crept towards the 50s, thank you Mother Nature! We all needed the break.

My latest project is this blouse (McCall's M6927) I made with the idea of wearing to work. I didn't mean for it to turn out so 80s-inspired, but I have been listening to a lot of 80s music lately, so I think maybe on a subconscious level I did mean for it to turn out this 80s inspired. I am not unhappy with it, but the shoulders are very... well, shoulder-y. Thanks, 80s.

This fabric is a wool gauze by Anna Sui. I saw it in Vogue and loved it immediately. I knew this wasn't what my pattern called for, and it might be a challenge to work with. I also knew I had to have it. It was one of those 110% regret-it-forever-if-you-don't decisions. In the end, the choice was obvious.




Construction! I made some admittedly questionable decisions on this one. The most questionable choice I made paid off though: I cut the neckband several sizes too big. This was a poor decision I made based on past necklines I'd worked with needing to stretch while sewing. I made this blouse with a non-stretch fabric, so no need for stretching or a bigger neckline band. However, this pattern calls for a button on top center back which I decided to nix. The neck-hole was a bit tight as a result. Nothing left to do but make it bigger! Now, if I wanted to do this the correct way, I would have done it on my muslin before hacking into my beautiful wool. But darned if I wasn't feeling experimental! The cray-cray thing I did next may shock you... I pinned my neckline band below the neck hole in a shape I liked, then cut through both the wool and lining using the neckline band as a guide. Then I sewed it up! Miraculously, all parties emerged from this unscathed. This was one of those plans so crazy that it worked out fine. Now my big head fits through the neck hole, no problem! You see, guys? Good things can happen to people who make bad decisions.  Seriously though, if anyone knows of any must-watch neckline tutorials (probably any neckline tutorial is a must-watch for me at this point), or if anyone has any sage advice, send it my way please.




Why are the shoulders so shoulder-y? I'll tell you! The wool gauze is surprisingly stiff/holds body really well. The sleeves on this pattern have way more material than the armhole allows, which means you can either gather it purposefully, or just let it happen. My muslin had some unfortunately placed gathers as a result, and I decided to gather the tops of the sleeves in this version for a uniform, shoulder-puff look. I didn't think it would stand out this much, and if I make this pattern again, I'll spread the gathers a bit more and make it in a less stiff fabric for a more natural shoulder look.

Other details: Fraycheck was my friend with this wool-- I Fraychecked every piece immediately after cutting. I also used fusible interfacing on the neckline and hem. The lining I used is stretchy which caused some problems-- I should've used a non-stretch woven. This pattern comes with cup-size options! Loved that.




Well, I made it through another project, older and wiser and armed with a seam-ripper.

Here's what I'm listening to:




xoxo,

Amy





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

V8928 Wrap Skirt!

Axel Skirt

Notes From The Comeback Kitten/ Papercut Patterns Ravine Dress